Newly diagnosed? We can help
Welcome to our village and congratulations on your new baby!
If you have just received a Down syndrome diagnosis, you are probably experiencing a whirlwind of emotions. Learning that your baby has Down syndrome is an overwhelming and emotional experience for most parents. You may initially feel confused, frightened, angry, saddened, and/or isolated. Remember that your baby is a baby first and is not defined by his or her diagnosis of Down syndrome. Right now there may be a lot of emphasis on how your baby may be different and the potential medical problems he or she may face, but no one can predict future challenges so try to take things one day at a time. Over time, you will find that children with Down syndrome are more alike than different from other children.
The good news is that you are not alone in your journey. Let us help. Let us provide resources and education. Let us connect you to other parents who have been in your shoes. Click here to be added to our mailing list, to receive a welcome bag and to be connected to a parent to receive support.
- The opportunity to talk with other parents about your concerns and questions.
- A chance to meet other children with Down syndrome and their families.
- Information and resources about Down syndrome.
- Assistance locating helpful medical and early intervention services.
- Referrals to local and national resources, including books, websites and support groups.
- Support to families who have a child that will undergo heart surgery or a child that is in the NICU.
- Access to fun family and community events.